September 3, 2021
Effective September 8 - September 21, 2021, Lee County Schools will adopt these updated
COVID-19 protocols for the return to in-person learning:
1. Temporarily, appropriate face coverings will be a requirement for all staff and students,
indoors and on school buses.
2. Visitors will be required to wear a face covering indoors (this includes after-school events
3. Quarantine procedures for close contact are as follows:
- Close contact students wearing a face covering are not required to quarantine if they are asymptomatic.
- Parents will be notified of exposure and asked to monitor symptoms. Parents may choose to quarantine students at home per DPH guidelines.
4. The face covering requirement will remain in effect until September 21.
As a district, we recognize COVID-19 has been challenging for students, staff, families, and the community. We have unprecedented numbers of positive cases in the community (link: COVID-19 Status Report | Georgia Department of Public Health) and our schools. Since school began on August 6, there have been 879 positive cases of COVID-19 in the community. In 21 days of in-person and remote learning, there have been 539 cases among students and staff, which is more than the 404 total cases reported last school year. To date, there have been 3,610 “close contacts” within the system. We are committed to having school in-person for students. This temporary adjustment of protocols will help us return to in-person learning and keep everyone safe.
If you have questions or concerns about your student, please contact the school.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Lee County School System
Temporary Protocol Questions and Answers
Who is required to wear an appropriate face covering?
The face covering requirement will be in effect for all students, staff, and visitors in our schools, buildings, and on student transportation.
Are there exceptions?
Exceptions based on medical needs for students and staff must be documented by a physician and that documentation will be treated as confidential and retained in the office of the principal. Some students with disabilities may be exempt based on individual needs as determined by the Director of Special Education. Staff members may remove their face coverings when students are not present and social distancing from other adults is possible. Students and adults may remove their face coverings during breaks and when they are eating or drinking, or other activities approved by the principal.
Do we need to provide a face covering?
We ask parents to provide reusable masks/face coverings for their students, but we will provide them for students who are unable to provide one on their own.
Can you wear a face shield or gator as a face covering?
Every student, staff member, and visitor needs to wear an appropriate face covering. Face shields that are clear and cover the face and mouth may be appropriate. Face shields can add an extra layer of protection and be worn in conjunction with a mask.
What are the requirements for face coverings?
- Cloth masks with multiple layers of tightly woven, breathable fabric
- Disposable masks constructed of multiple layers of non-woven material
- Gator-style face coverings that are doubled to create two layers
- Face shields that are clear and cover the nose and mouth