School Guidance Counselor
I was born and raised in Brewton a small town in south Alabama. I received a bachelor’s degree in Speech- Language Pathology from the University of Alabama. I moved to Albany in 1982 and was employed by the Dougherty County School System. I later spent several years in the corporate world. In 2002 I went back to work on my graduate degree in Educational Counseling at Albany State University. Upon graduating in 2004 I worked with a private company that provides services to developmentally disadvantaged individuals who receive services from the state. In 2011 I came back to my first love, which is working with children in the elementary school setting.
I am married to John Norton who is retired from Pfizer Pharmaceutical and is currently doing contract work with various companies. We have two lovely daughters, Dabney who is 20 and Sarah who is 18. Dabney attends Georgia College and is on the dance team and Sarah is a dedicated soccer player; both girls have danced since they were 3 and can dance like princesses. We have three other important members of our family, a very sweet English Cocker that we call Lilly, a very skinny gray cat known as Lucy and a feisty calico that we call Rue. We all enjoy camping where we can bike, swim, fish and pretty much just enjoy being outdoors! When I get a little time to myself I generally head to the tennis courts for a couple of hours of competition and exercise.
You will find information on this web site that will hopefully answer many of your questions. However, I am readily available during school hours to talk or meet with you in person! I know that once you get to know the administration, staff and teachers that you will agree that Twin Oaks is a GREAT place for children to thrive, learn and develop into contributing individuals.
Did you know?
- I love to do silly things in front of my two daughters to embarrass them.
- I often pick up animals on the side of the road and get them to their owner or find them a new home.
- When I was little I was extremely shy and would not talk. (Nobody that knows me now believes this!)
- I was once ranked #11 in girl’s 18 singles in the state of Alabama.
- I love to ride crazy roller coasters and other amusement park rides.
Frequently Asked Questions
|What do school counselors do?
- Work with individuals and groups
- Help identify needs of students
- Encourage better interpersonal relationships
- Promote positive attitudes and choices
- Aid teachers and parents in helping students
- Assist people in making use of community resources
- Coordinate referrals to outside agencies
- Assist students with the process of growing up
- Coordinate efforts with other school programs
- Provide preventative services
- Maintain confidentiality
|Why do students visit their school counselor?
Here are just a few reasons a student might want to talk to the School Counselor:
- “I’m getting picked on at the bus stop and I don’t know what to do about it.”
- “My best friend isn’t talking to me and it’s making me really sad.”
- “I want to show you what I just made in art. I’m very proud of it.”
- “I’m new to this school, and I’m really scared.”
- “I just want to talk to someone who won’t laugh at me.”
- “I did a lot better on my last math test, and I’m so excited to tell someone!”
- “Lisa, Carol and I had a problem at recess. Can you help us work it out?”
|Why do parents contact their school counselor?
Here are just a few reasons a parent might want to talk to the School Counselor:
- “Sarah doesn’t want to go to school in the mornings.”
- “I’m concerned because Allen keeps telling me he doesn’t have any friends.”
- “We recently had a death in the family, and I’m not sure how to tell my child.”
- “Kevin has difficulty going to sleep at night and often has nightmares.”
- “My wife and I are going through a divorce and we’re not sure how to handle things with the kids.”
- “Jason seems to get really frustrated doing his homework and nothing I say seems to help.”
|How do I contact my school counselor?
|How can I enroll my child at Twin Oaks Elementary?
All student registration information is available here.
|Where can I go online to get reliable and research-based information?
Here are some websites we recommend: